[SciPy-user] conforming to Python GIL...

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Thu Apr 3 20:42:26 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 02:08:03AM +0200, fred wrote:
> Travis E. Oliphant a écrit :

> > This requires a bit of effort to solve.   We need to in multiple places...
> Hum, I do understand, but...

> It's very hard to believe that I am the only guy in the entire universe
> who encounters this kind of issue, uh ? ;-)))

> IOW... how do scipy users do ???

Sorry Fred to be bringing you the bad news. You must have been hiding
under a hole for a few years if you weren't aware of the bad news: Python
is not terribly good at parallel computing in a shared-memory model. To
achieve good parallel computing, you need to use several process, like
does the processing module that Robert mentioned.

This issue has been mentioned on the scipy-user mailing list more than
once.

Cheers,

Gaël