[SciPy-user] Real-time plotting and data storage format questions

Rick Wagner rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu
Tue Apr 1 14:51:39 EDT 2008

>> For the data format I strongly recommend NetCDF and especially
>> NetCDF4
>> (allows for compression)
>
> Actually, why not hdf5, which seems to be used by NetCDF4, but is also
> largely used across many scientific comunities, and very well
> supported
> under python (pytables)?
>
> My 2 cents,
>
> Gaël

Seconded. We use HDF5 [1] in a parallel simulation code written in C+
+ and Fortran, and find it to be incredibly useful. I personally use
PyTables to access the data for analysis and plotting. If you have
any questions, feel free to email me.

--Rick

[1] - http://hdfgroup.org/

-
Rick Wagner, Graduate Student Researcher
UCSD Physics
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA  92093-0424
Email:  rwagner at physics.ucsd.edu
WWW:    http://lca.ucsd.edu/projects/rpwagner
(858) 822-4784 Phone
-
Measuring programming progress by lines of code is
like measuring aircraft building progress by weight.
--Bill Gates
-