[SciPy-user] Fwd: interpolation question

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed Oct 24 15:28:59 EDT 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 08:51:20AM -0600, Michael Hearne wrote:
> Is it uncommon to think of columns as being in the x direction, and
> rows in y?

In my experience, that is the most common convention.  Some books,
like Image Processing (Gonzales & Woods) swap the axes, but that is
probably done to be consistent with array indexing.

Then, there is still the issue of the origin.  In the cartesian plane
the origin is at the lower left-hand corner of the array, whereas in
array indexing it is at the top left-hand corner.

Personally, I find it easiest to always use row and column indices,
and to refrain from using x or y to describe them.  On the other hand,
this may not be easy when implementing algorithms from literature, set
in the X-Y plane.

Regards
Stéfan