[SciPy-user] Fwd: interpolation question

Michael Hearne mhearne at usgs.gov
Wed Oct 24 13:51:48 EDT 2007

John - I thought about it some more, and I think part of my bias
comes from a background of spatial computing, and working with
remotely sensed images.   Most of the time when I'm working with 2d
grid data, that grid represents _geographic_ data, where each grid
"cell" represents a spot on the ground.

For example, it is common to represent gridded spatial data with the
following parameters:
Upper left X coordinate (i.e. longitude) of the center of the upper
left grid cell
Upper left Y coordinate (i.e. latitude) of the center of the upper
left grid cell
X dimension of each grid cell in linear units
Y dimension of each grid cell in linear units
Number of rows
Number of columns

Then if you have a 2d array in numpy, getting geographic coordinates
from grid coordinates is as simple as:
spatial_x = ulx + col*xdim
spatial_y = uly - row*ydim

For this kind of computing, it is much less confusing if the data at
[0,ncols] is at a greater longitude than the data at [0,0], and data
at [0,0] is at a greater latitude than the  data at [nrows,0].

Thinking this way for so many years has probably caused me to think
that it is "natural" for rows to be the Y dimension, and columns to
be the X dimension.  I get screwed up going between math angles and
geographic direction too!

Your points are correct and well taken, and looking at the
documentation for RectBivariateSpline it _does_ say that x
corresponds to the first dimension, and y corresponds to the second.
My bad for not RTFM.

Thanks,

Mike Hearne

Michael Hearne
mhearne at usgs.gov
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.