[SciPy-user] Fast simple plotting

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Jan 4 17:40:42 EST 2007

On 2007-01-04, Jerry <lanceboyle at qwest.net> wrote:

> BTW, gnuplot can only plot data that is first written to disk

Not really true

 1) Gnuplot can be sent data through a pipe.

 2) All decent OSes (and even a few crappy ones) cache
    filesystem data blocks in RAM, so small temp-files will
    rarely even hit a disk platter.

> (other than that which it calculates itself) so it might be
> slower than you would like.

In my experience gnuplot (pygnuplot) is pretty fast. I'm able
to smoothly animate rotation of 3-D wireframe plots containing
undreds of line segments without any problems.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  YOW!! I am having
                                  at               FUN!!