[SciPy-user] Fast simple plotting

Scott Ransom sransom at nrao.edu
Thu Jan 4 17:25:55 EST 2007

Similarly, PGPLOT works great as well.  Almost all of my published
figures are generated using it.  There is a python module called ppglot
that works with numeric and numarray, and only minor changes are needed
to make it work with numpy (I can send those changes if you want to
check them out).  It is a fortran library with C-wrappers and python
around that, but it is still _very_ fast.  I'm not sure how it handles
Windows, though...

http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~tjp/pgplot/

http://efault.net/npat/hacks/ppgplot/

Scott

On Thursday 04 January 2007 17:11, Jerry wrote:
> Check out PLplot at http://plplot.sourceforge.net/index.html. It is a
> native C library with Python bindings. Dont' be put off by the rather
> crappy graphical examples on the home page. I don't know how fast it
> is but I'd say give it a try. It is a very active sourceforge
> project.
>
> BTW, gnuplot can only plot data that is first written to disk (other
> than that which it calculates itself) so it might be slower than you
> would like.
>
> Jerry
>
> On Jan 4, 2007, at 3:10 AM, Lars Friedrich wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I am using python/scipy to control some hardware using ctypes and
> > some self written dlls. Now I have the need to display some data
> > online while
> > doing other things. Until now I used matplotlib to plot everything,
> > but
> > this is too slow for the online display. What do you recommend?
> >
> > What I would like to do as a start is a small simple oscilloscope.
> > I read data from a data acquisition card and plot it to a simple
> > 2d- plot.
> > I would like to reach roughly 5 frames per second but *being able
> > to do
> > something else at the same time*.
> >
> > As I said, I tried matplotlib. At the moment I am playing around
> > with VTK. I read about chaco. I know that there is gnuplot.
> > Certainly there is also wx or something equivalent.
> >
> > Is there anyone doing something similar? What do you recommend?
> >
> > Thanks for every comment
> >
> > Lars Friedrich

Scott M. Ransom            Address:  NRAO
Phone:  (434) 296-0320               520 Edgemont Rd.
email:  sransom at nrao.edu             Charlottesville, VA 22903 USA
GPG Fingerprint: 06A9 9553 78BE 16DB 407B  FFCA 9BFA B6FF FFD3 2989