[SciPy-user] Mayavi2 installation woes (OS X 10.4.11, Python 2.5)

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 21:01:33 EST 2007

William Henney wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have been trying to install MayaVi2 on an intel Mac running 10.4.11, but I am
> running into a brick wall.

Can you join us over on enthought-dev? It's a more appropriate forum.

> I have been trying to follow the instructions I have found in various threads on
> this list and at https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/IntelMacPython25. I
> have managed to install all the dependencies (vtk, pyrex, wxpython, etc) but I
> just can't get the enthought.traits package to build.
>
> I have tried the versions from the SVN repo and also the tar balls from
> http://code.enthought.com/downloads/source/ets2.6/ but I always get the error
> when building enthought.traits:
>
> TypeError: swig_sources() takes exactly 3 arguments (2 given)
>
> An example of a full stack trace is given below. It seems that the problem has
> something to do with setuptools, and possibly with pyrex. I was initially using
> setuptools 0.6c7 and Pyrex 0.9.6.4, but after reading negative comments about
> 0.9.6, I downgraded to 0.9.5.1a, although this makes no difference.

Can you double-check that the Pyrex that you can import is the version that you
think it is? One of the changes in 0.9.6 causes exactly this problem.

>>> from Pyrex.Compiler import Version
>>> Version.version
'0.9.5.1'

> I have also tried using the latest development version of setuptools
> (0.7a1dev-r58661), but this doesn't work at all due to problems with "Namespace
> Packages" (with 0.6 these just give a warning, as seen in the output below).

The tarballs you grabbed are experimental ones for people trying to package ETS
for Linux distributions. The people making them wanted to remove the namespace
package features, but it appears that they did so incompletely.

The tarballs that you want are here:

  http://code.enthought.com/enstaller/eggs/source/

Alternately, we have a script that can check out the SVN for a given ETS package
and all of its dependencies.

  https://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought/branches/ets_scripts_0.1

Install that like normal ("python setup.py install"). Then you will have a
script called "etsco":

$ cd ~/src
$ etsco enthought.mayavi
Initializing list of projects found in svn repositories.
    Processing repository: https://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought
Finished initializing svn repository projects.
    Checking out "enthought.util" source from
"https://svn.enthought.com/svn/enthought/tags/enthought.util_2.0.1b2"
A    /Users/rkern/src/enthought.mayavi_2.0.3a1/enthought.util_2.0.1b2/LICENSE.txt
A    /Users/rkern/src/enthought.mayavi_2.0.3a1/enthought.util_2.0.1b2/extras.map
/Users/rkern/src/enthought.mayavi_2.0.3a1/enthought.persistence_2.1.0a1/setup.cfg
 U   /Users/rkern/src/enthought.mayavi_2.0.3a1/enthought.persistence_2.1.0a1
Checked out revision 16353.

All project source has been checked out to
"/Users/rkern/src/enthought.mayavi_2.0.3a1"

WARNING: YOUR CHECKOUT INCLUDES PROJECTS FROM SVN TAGS -- PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN
CHECKING IN CHANGES AS TAGS SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED!  You can svn copy a tag to a
 branch, then svn switch to that, and then check in your changes for a future
release.

Now, in enthought.mayavi_2.0.3a1/ you have all of the current SVN for
enthought.mayavi and everything from ETS that it needs.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco