[SciPy-user] installation issue on OS X

Jonathan Peelle peelle at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 13:27:06 EDT 2006

I attempted to install SciPy on OS X (10.4.7, Intel processor),
Python2.4, using these instructions:

http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X

The fortran compiler and fftw libraries seemed to install just fine.
(I already had numpy 1.0b5 installed, and that works fine, too.)  As
near as I can tell the scipy installation is able to find all of these
installations.

After installing scipy, two tests fail: check_integer and
check_simple_todense.  The important info seems to be:

ImportError: Failure linking new module:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/special/_cephes.so:
Symbol not found: ___dso_handle
  Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/special/_cephes.so
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

Output of build command is here:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df5p92sv_6fr7292

and output of the install command is here:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df5p92sv_7cscvwk

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks.