[SciPy-user] Installing SciPy on AIX 5.2

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Jan 5 14:31:07 EST 2006

mfmorss at aep.com wrote:

>Here at AEP we have recently installed Python 2.4.2 from source on an AIX
>5.2 machine; running testall.py revealed only inconsequential problems.  We
>are now attempting to install SciPy, which we also have to do from source.
>
>Is it correct that the installation guidance at http://www.scipy.org is
>obsolete?  That it refers to SciPy 0.3.2 would seem to case doubt on all
>the information provided.  The most recent source tarball is, of course,
>

>0.8.2.

SciPy 0.3.2 is (old) scipy and builds on top of Numeric.  You may go
that route, but I'm not sure how much response you will receive if you
need help.

The SVN version of scipy is (new) scipy (will be release 0.4.4) and
builds on top of the new numpy package.

I don't think much testing has been done on AIX, but presumably numpy
should build there.  The only issue will be the IEEE floating-point
support (in other-words the error-modes will probably not be supported
on AIX).

If you get the latest numpy (look for a release in a few hours) and
start there, you will probably get more help...

>In particular, at http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt, it
>says that Python must be installed with the zlib module enabled.  Is this
>true?  Why would SciPy depend on a file compression module?

I don't know the answer to that one.   I think the array_import function
can make use of it, but I don't think it *has* to be installed.

-Travis