[SciPy-user] Installing SciPy on AIX 5.2

mfmorss at aep.com mfmorss at aep.com
Thu Jan 5 09:29:13 EST 2006

Here at AEP we have recently installed Python 2.4.2 from source on an AIX
5.2 machine; running testall.py revealed only inconsequential problems.  We
are now attempting to install SciPy, which we also have to do from source.

Is it correct that the installation guidance at http://www.scipy.org is
obsolete?  That it refers to SciPy 0.3.2 would seem to case doubt on all
the information provided.  The most recent source tarball is, of course,
0.8.2.

In particular, at http://www.scipy.org/documentation/buildscipy.txt, it
says that Python must be installed with the zlib module enabled.  Is this
true?  Why would SciPy depend on a file compression module?

Mark F. Morss
Principal Analyst, Market Risk
American Electric Power