[SciPy-user] Scipy with Python 2.4 on Windows

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 26 02:55:11 EDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Ryan Krauss wrote:
>
>> Whenever the question of 2.4 and Windows has come up, the answer has
>> been that no one is doing it yet.
>
> I'm pretty sure the problem with scipy and windows on Python 2.4 is with
> the build of numpyio not picking up the same input / output DLL that
> Python was compiled against.  I'm not sure why this would happen
> suddenly on the change to Python 2.4.  It is probably a
> distutils-related issues.

Well, the C runtime changed completely with Python 2.4 which is now
being compiled with MSVC 7.

> In the mean time, the rest of scipy should be fine you just won't be
> able to use a lot of the io functions.
>
> If anybody has any ideas, please help.  Otherwise, this may take a bit
> to track down as I don't have time to spend on it, and nobody else has
> volunteered.

As I mentioned the last time this came up (three weeks ago!), John
Hunter say that he has had success compiling matplotlib with mingw by
making a tiny change to distutils:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-December/254826.html

I'm not sure if matplotlib is passing FILE* pointers between Python and
the extension modules, though. It may not be exercising the
crash-inducing conditions.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu