[SciPy-user] Fwd: Scipy_core and numarray

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Oct 6 10:12:34 EDT 2005

Andrew Jaffe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've tried to post via the newsgroup interface, but my messages have
> never appeared, so here's another try!...
>
> I'm currently a numarray user from the astrophysics community and I
> suppose I want to understand a bit more about the relationship between
> the two projects. Do the two projects exist side-by-side? Will numarray
> be superseded by scipy_core?

You can install both packages side-by-side, yes, but the intention of
the new scipy_core is to *replace* both Numeric and numarray.

> I like the speed advantage of scipy_core,
> but I there may be features of numarray I don't want to give up (or
> legacy code I need to interfact with).

We intend to expand the featureset of scipy_core to include that of
numarray. In particular, we have our eye on porting nd_image although I
won't speculate on a timeframe for that.

> Along the latter lines, I have a more practical question: one
> numarray capability that I used a lot was the ability to create
> uninitialized arrays, such as
>
>      arr = numarray.array(shape=(3,5), type=Float64)

arr = scipy.empty((3,5), scipy.Float64)

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu