[SciPy-user] Scipy and ipython and Aquaterm

Zhiwen Chong zhiwen.chong at elf.mcgill.ca
Fri Jun 17 17:47:05 EDT 2005

> I don't think that gui_thread has been updated for wxPython 2.6.
> gui_thread has mostly been obsoleted by ipython. I highly recommend
> using ipython for this and many other reasons.

Just downloaded ipython -- it's a nifty little environment! (tab
completion for methods, shell access, explicit display of exception
names etc.) Thanks for the recommendation.

What I want is this:
1) a means of plotting a graph from the interactive environment; and,
2) a means of doing the same from within a series of Python scripts
that I plan to distribute to others. Currently, that means using
py2exe (for Windows). I'm doing my development on Mac OS X (and
deploying on Windows), so I'm constrained to using a cross-platform
framework like wxWidgets through wxPython.

How do you do your plotting in ipython? How do I get my Python
program to plot using wxPython without using ipython?

On a completely different note, has anyone tried Aquaterm? I'm
testing Aquaterm but I haven't been able to figure out how to point
to it from SciPy.
A test on plain old GNUPlot gave me this error:

     Terminal type set to 'unknown'
     gnuplot> set terminal aqua
     Terminal type set to 'aqua'
     Options are '0 title 'Figure 0' size 846 594 fname 'Times-
Roman'  fsize 14'
     gnuplot> plot sin(x)
     2005-06-17 17:16:34.035 gnuplot[14992] *** Uncaught exception:
<NSInvalidArgumentException> [NOTE: this exception originated in the
server.]
     *** -[AQTModel dirtyRect]: selector not recognized [self =
0x3a9340]
     Trace/BPT trap

This was on GNUPlot 4.0.0 patchlevel 0, compiled from sources.

Zhiwen Chong
McMaster Advanced Control Consortium
Dept. of Chemical Engineering
McMaster University