[SciPy-user] SciPy and gui_thread()

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 17 15:43:04 EDT 2005

    Robert> I don't think that gui_thread has been updated for
    Robert> wxPython 2.6. gui_thread has mostly been obsoleted by
    Robert> ipython. I highly recommend using ipython for this and
    Robert> many other reasons.

To provide a little context to Robert's comments.  gui_thread was
designed to allow you to run the wx mainloop in a separate thread so
you could continue to type commands from an arbitrary python shell
while controlling wx plot windows (eg figures).  ipython, which is an
enhanced python shell, also has support for controlling GUIs from it
if you launch ipython with a special flag (eg -gthread for gtk apps,
-wthread for wx apps, and so on).  As Robert Suggests, ipython has
lots of other nifty features that make it preferable over a standard
python shell.

JDH