[SciPy-user] Pointers installing scipy on OS X

Bill Northcott w.northcott at unsw.edu.au
Fri Aug 19 17:16:00 EDT 2005

On 20/08/2005, at 3:07 AM, scipy-user-request at scipy.net wrote:
> blas_opt_info:
>    FOUND:
>      extra_link_args = ['-Wl,-framework', '-Wl,Accelerate']
>      define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 3)]
>      extra_compile_args = ['-faltivec', '-framework', 'Accelerate']
>
> lapack_opt_info:
>    FOUND:
>      extra_link_args = ['-Wl,-framework', '-Wl,Accelerate']
>      define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 3)]
>      extra_compile_args = ['-faltivec', '-framework', 'Accelerate']

I know this is not relevant to the problem being discussed, but those
few lines above don't look right.  They may work, but that may be luck.

AFAIK '-framework Accelerate' is not like '-Lfoodir -lfoo'.    This
first of these is a single linker option and should not be separated,
the second is two options and can be separated as long as 'lfoo'
follows '-Lfoodir'.  It looks from the above that '-framework' and
'Accelerate' are being regarded as separate options.  It will work if
they happen to follow each other, but if something creeps in between
the build will break.

Of course neither of them are compile options like '-faltivec'. So I
am not sure what they are doing in extra_compile_args.

Bill Northcott