[SciPy-user] ATLAS and LPACK

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Sep 10 19:25:17 EDT 2004

quendor at nandor.net wrote:
> I have followed the excellent instructions on installing scipy on OS X
> provided by Christopher Fonnesbeck. Everything seems to work as expected.
>
> My only question is if I need to install ATLAS and LPACK separately
> (from source) or are they already included if I have previously
> installed the Developer Tools?

You need to install separately from source. I would also mention that
the BLAS portion of the vecLib framework that comes with your OS *is*
ATLAS, but it will be a little incomplete compared to self-built ATLAS
and LAPACK. Namely, the handful of LAPACK functions for which ATLAS
includes row-major versions and optimizes are missing. Possibly the
row-major version of the BLAS functions are also missing, but I haven't
checked.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu