[SciPy-user] help and lazy importer (again or still ?)

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu May 6 03:03:33 EDT 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Wed, 5 May 2004, Arnd Baecker wrote:
>
> > > Unfortunately, the only way to avoid the above issue is to import
> > > scipy_base or scipy (that imports ppimport module which adds a hook to
> > > pydoc.help to handle postponed modules) before trying to get help of scipy
> > > objects. You can import scipy_base in $PYTHONSTARTUP script, for instance.
> >
> > Well, there is always a price to pay at some point ;-)
>
> It turns out I was wrong, the latest patch in CVS makes also
>
>   help("scipy.integrate")
>
> to work.

Glad that you were wrong ;-). I think the on-line
help is an extremely helpful aspect of python/scipy,
so that's why I am very happy to see this working!
(though I think it might be nice to have some well-defined
and _simple_ procedure to add documention to scipy -
something like this is just being discussed for python on c.l.p. -
but this is off-topic here and might be good for a new thread
at some point)

_Many_ thanks,

Arnd