[SciPy-user] MATLAB start-up

Mark Bakker mbakker at engr.uga.edu
Fri Mar 14 16:31:03 EST 2003

Eric is right.
Matlab takes a very long time to start-up (MUCH longer than importing
scipy on my machine). Although I tend to agree that importing scipy is
somewhat annoyingly long. What I don't understand is that even when I
import just one method, say
from scipy.special import k0
it still takes a long time.
Not sure why,
Mark

 > In any case, the scipy import time 2-13 seconds is a killer for
certain
 > tasks, this is also one of the reasons why I have commiting so much
 > patches to get scipy modules usable as standalone.

Yep.  I usually import it, along with other large modules, in a
background thread during the splash screen of GUI applications to mask
the time.  :-|

I'm don't know of an obvious way around this except for the lazy
imports. By the way, how long does it take Matlab to start up?  It has
to load a similar amount of stuff I would think.

eric