[SciPy-user] Newbie Q: Trying to install on Mac OS X

Lance Boyle lanceboyle at myrealbox.com
Fri Mar 14 04:41:50 EST 2003

I'm attempting to install SciPy on Mac OS X 10.2.4, December Developer
Tools, 500 MHz Titanium PowerBook (G4 processor). I'm using fink
(fink.sourceforge.net) to manage the installation, which uses Version
20021007-1 of SciPy.

Perhaps I should ask this question of someone concerned with ATLAS.
However:

After about an hour into the installation, a timing function in the
ATLAS installer failed. I followed the instructions under "Your install
dies with 'unable to get timings in tolerance'" on the ATLAS errata
page at http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#tol.

I did three things. First, I killed off all unnecessary processes.
Second, I followed this suggestion from the errata page:

... edit the files ATLAS/include/ARCH/atlas_?sysinfo.h.  Each of these
four files will have a quantity called ATL_nkflop.  Pump this quantity
up by some significant factor until timings are regular.  I usually
increase it by a factor of 5 or 10...

I increased these four numbers by a factor of 10.

Third, I restarted the installation as instructed on the "errata" page.
The ARCHDEF and MMDEF macros alluded to were empty; ARCHDEF = <blank>
and MMDEF = <blank>, but I commented them out anyway.

I restarted the installation process and as far as I can tell, the
ATLAS optimization is still going on some 20 hours later.

Is this normal? There is still new output appearing in the terminal.
Suggestions?

Jerry
Tempe, AZ, USA