[SciPy-Dev] What for the new contributor?

rlucas7 at vt.edu rlucas7 at vt.edu
Tue Mar 3 17:01:45 EST 2020

> On Mar 2, 2020, at 4:40 AM, Władysław Raczek <wsw.raczek at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi everybody,

Welcome.

> I'm third year student on Theoretical Computer Science. This year we have to contribute to open-source project, and I've chosen SciPy because it seems to be interesting, and it also seems to have lot of things to do. I've looked rather briefly through the list of issues, and I've come to thought that each issue is either a documentation issue, or some pretty complicated stuff.

Did you search for the issues with tag, “good first issue”?
Those are usually a good place to start.
If you aren’t super familiar with github open source dev work, a doc change is a good first PR to get the feel for the workflow without muddying the water with other stuff (besides the docstring changes).

> Maybe someone here has any thoughts on how can a new person in project (like me) contribute, e.g. You have some issues in mind, or You yourself opened some issue You consider suitable for a new contributor, and it didn't get a PR yet, or smth. else :)

SciPy has a bunch of different subpackages, many of the regulars here are more familiar with specific packages than others. It might help if you identify a specific sub package, e.g. are you more familiar/comfortable with optimization, or with special functions, or statistics, etc.

Of course some folks have a broader scope and may be able to help on the overall SciPy but they are fewer.
> Would be truly grateful for help!

We are grateful for your enthusiasm and future efforts in SciPy