[SciPy-Dev] (no subject)

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 21 13:55:23 EDT 2020

Hi Evgeni,

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, at 04:12, Evgeni Burovski wrote:
> There are several tutorials from the SciPy community (broadly
> defined), but they are scattered and not very easy to find (e.g.
> Matthew Brett's https://matthew-brett.github.io/pydagogue, I'm sure
> there are others)
>
> Just throwing it out there: I wonder if SciPy lecture notes
> (https://scipy-lectures.org/) could be a place for these sorts of
> tutorials.

It's true, these are spread all over the place, and it would be good to reconcile.

We've also started writing contributor manuals for some projects.  See, e.g.,:

https://scikit-image.org/docs/stable/core_developer.html (for core developers)

and

https://skyportal.io/docs/contributing.html

for contributing developers.  And, of course, SciPy's very extensive https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/dev/contributor/contributor_toc.html

Topics handled includes scope and size of PRs, handling merge conflicts, guidance on how to do a good review, etc.

So, if we could figure out which topics are general and relevant to most contributors, we could add those to a central set of documentation that several projects can refer back to (I think that was also the idea behind Matthew Brett's https://github.com/matthew-brett/gitwash).

Best regards,
Stéfan