[SciPy-Dev] (no subject)

Evgeni Burovski evgeny.burovskiy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 07:12:22 EDT 2020

Hi Matti,

(am changing the subject line to separate a subtopic).

> Is there a forum where we could explore the larger question around best
> practices in helping projects and teams keep their software up-to-date
> through rolling updates, test suites, and documentation? A few things
> come to mind:
>
> - developing a culture of version control and tests when creating
> software, even if it is grad students racing towards their degrees
>
> - freezing environments in images, which is a whole discipline unto
> itself, and needed for reproducible science
>
> - offloading the task of maintaining computing environments using things
> like Jupyter Hub or other web-based services

t's a great point, thanks for starting the conversation!

I've asked around (mostly undergrad science students, not comp sci). A
common theme is that
- it'd be great to have some short best practices how-tos would be
helpful, especially for testing, version control and containerization
- there's lots of info, and it's overwhelming (hence a short how-to to
get started)
- the vast majority of learning material on the internet seems
off-base and is difficult to connect to the R&D / research projects
students are dealing with.

Anecdotally, when I was starting (non comp sci background here), one
of the eye openers for me was Nelle V's git tutorial at EuroScipy.

There are several tutorials from the SciPy community (broadly
defined), but they are scattered and not very easy to find (e.g.
Matthew Brett's https://matthew-brett.github.io/pydagogue, I'm sure
there are others)

Just throwing it out there: I wonder if SciPy lecture notes
(https://scipy-lectures.org/) could be a place for these sorts of
tutorials.

Cheers,

Evgeni