[SciPy-Dev] add johnson SL distribution

Matt Haberland haberland at ucla.edu
Thu Jan 3 15:30:33 EST 2019

I am not personally familiar with the Johnson family of distributions
<https://books.google.com/books?id=_LvgBwAAQBAJ&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=johns+su+sb+sl+distributions&source=bl&ots=LBowBmYTse&sig=9KPViyvSlLAFp9EYqi-ejTYgQ30&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjE6cnvt9LfAhWG458KHdrQAmkQ6AEwDXoECAIQAQ#v=onepage&q=johns%20su%20sb%20sl%20distributions&f=false>,
but the SL does seem to complete the set.

The license for the Matlab implementation does seem to be BSD 3-clause
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_licenses#3-clause> and thus compatible
with SciPy.

Seems like a reasonable first issue, but certainly finishing stalled PRs
would be helpful, too!

Matt Haberland

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 10:09 AM Michael Watson <mike.watson at sheffield.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Hi all, happy new year,
> We have the SB and SU Johnson distributions implemented but not the SL
> distribution, it doesn't look like much work to add it in if it's
> appropriate, I'm doing some work with these distributions and ultimately
> would like to implement functions to fit by moments and by quantiles too.
> there are existing implementations that are distributed under the BSD
> licence here:
>

> https://uk.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/46123-johnson-curve-toolbox
>
> so it doesn't seem like a big job from my point of view and I'll be doing
> it anyway.
>
> it would also be my first contribution so if it would be better to start
> with another issue (I saw a list and 2 stalled PRs in another email) then
> try to add functionality just say and I can look at contributing other ways
> first.
> Mike

Matt Haberland
Assistant Adjunct Professor in the Program in Computing
Department of Mathematics
6617A Math Sciences Building, UCLA