[SciPy-Dev] Contributing to SciPy through GSoC

Nikolay Mayorov nikolay.mayorov at zoho.com
Sun Mar 4 16:41:58 EST 2018

Hi, Anybhev!

I think getting Rotation right is a top priority and so far unfortunately nobody dig into technical details of it. I would like to see that from students.

As for the algorithms. I believe that Wahba's problem can be generalized by adding a translation vector, but the interpretation will be different (search for "absolute orientation problem"). As for methods to solve Wahba's problem --- probably SVD based is the easiest to understand and implement, but if we decide to use quaternions as the base representation, then we can go with "Q-method".

"Cubic spline" for orientation is also a very cool algorithm which wasn't promoted anywhere, but this is the best idea I found on the subject (i.e. interpolation with continuous angular rates and acceleration).

Other algorithms are quite small, they can be added quickly. I would say it is more of a question of what we should include. If you have some ideas outside (mostly) "aerospace" field --- they are welcome.

For all parts I would like to see more concrete and technical details. For example, if we want SLERP interpolation --- what will it be (class or function), what it will accept, what will be the most difficult part to implement it correctly. The same for all other things.

Best,

Nikolay

---- On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 16:26:28 +0500 anubhavp28 at gmail.com  wrote ----

Hi,

I wanted feedback regarding whether a combination of rotation class and implementation of quaternion SLERP algorithm and Davenport's Q-method solving Wahba's Problem, will be enough for GSoC? Should I include more rotation related algorithm for implementation? Any suggestions what more I could do?