[SciPy-Dev] SciPy 1.0 release schedule proposal

alebarde at gmail.com alebarde at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 05:57:23 EDT 2017

Hi all,
If possible, I would like to see PR7629 (
https://github.com/scipy/scipy/pull/7629) in 1.0

Alessandro

> Hi all,
>
> We're now at 5 months after the 0.19.0 release, and well behind our
> planned 1.0 release date [1]. So it's high time for a more concrete plan -
> here it is:
>
> Sep 16: Branch 1.0.x
> Sep 17: beta1
> Sep 27: rc1
> Oct 7: rc2
> Oct 17: final release
>
> This gives us one month to finish and merge everything that we really
> would like to see in 1.0 - should be enough time for things that are
> already in progress. The list of things now marked for 1.0 [2] is not too
> long, and not all of it is critical. It would be useful if everyone could
> add PRs/issues that they think are critical to the 1.0 milestone. Adding
> yourself as an "assignee" on PRs/issues you plan to tackle would also be
> helpful.
>
> Besides some really nice new features, we made major strides in
> infrastructure (CI, testing) and project organisation for this release. Fom
> my perspective there are three critical things left:
>
> 1. Windows wheels. Looks like we're pretty much there, but we need to
> ensure that 1.0 is the first release that has Windows wheels available.
> 2. Adding a code of conduct. This is the last thing we imho need from an
> "open source project maturity" perspective (an FSA would be nice, but can
> wait).
> 3. Merging a lot of PRs. There's ~150 PRs open now, I hope in the next
> month we can focus on reducing that number and getting some nice
> improvements in that have been waiting for quite some time.
>
> Finally, we've discussed before writing a paper about SciPy to coincide
> with this release. I'll follow up on that separately.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
>
> [1] https://mail.python.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2016-September/021485.html
> [2] https://github.com/scipy/scipy/milestones/1.0

NOTICE: Dlgs 196/2003 this e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain
confidential information and are intended for the sole use of the
recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this
message you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender either by telephone or by e-mail and delete the
material from any computer. Thank you.