[SciPy-Dev] GSoC ideas

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:52:16 EST 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Cera, Tim <tim at cerazone.net> wrote:

> 2. Something that could be useful to me is to update ODRPACK to
ODRPACK95.  ODRPACK95 can be found at http://www.netlib.org/toms/869.zip.
At the same time suggest to implement the new odr in scipy.optimize.
License is not defined in the ODRPACK95 software but I found this in the
netlib FAQ:

> 2.3) Are there restrictions on the use of software retrieved from Netlib?
>
> Most netlib software packages have no restrictions on their use but we
recommend you check with the authors to be sure. Checking with the authors
is a nice courtesy anyway since many authors like to know how their codes
are being used.

As it was published in ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software (hence
toms/), their default license applies unless if the paper states otherwise
(it doesn't). You can try to email ACM to ask for a BSD license. Sometimes
they are accommodating. ODRPACK95 used to have an independent life in an
SVN repo somewhere, but that has disappeared.

http://www.acm.org/publications/policies/softwarecrnotice
http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1268776.1268782

--
Robert Kern