[SciPy-Dev] GSoC ideas

Cera, Tim tim at cerazone.net
Tue Mar 3 10:30:54 EST 2015

These ideas are things that I wanted to tackle, but they might instead get
better play as part of the GSoC program.

1. In the scipy.ndimage​ package there are many functions that have a
'mode' option to define the padding process to use to minimize edge
issues.  I think would be better to use the pad function in numpy.  With
this approach, as improvements are made in the numpy pad function, the
scipy.ndimage package benefits.

2. Something that could be useful to me is to update ODRPACK to ODRPACK95.
ODRPACK95 can be found at http://www.netlib.org/toms/869.zip.  At the same
time suggest to implement the new odr in scipy.optimize.  License is not
defined in the ODRPACK95 software but I found this in the netlib FAQ:

*2.3) Are there restrictions on the use of software retrieved from Netlib?*

Most netlib software packages have no restrictions on their use but we
recommend you check with the authors to be sure. Checking with the authors
is a nice courtesy anyway since many authors like to know how their codes
are being used.

​Kindest regards,
Tim​