[SciPy-Dev] [Numpy-discussion] ANN: Scipy 0.14.0 beta 1 release

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 19:49:13 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:08 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:31 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Nice.
>> >
>> > This reminded me of https://github.com/scipy/scipy/issues/2829 again.
>> > Imho
>> > we should drop support for <Win7 in the official installers and use a
>> > similar approach with private dlls for Windows.
>>
>> That seems reasonable to me.  Is there any way of estimating how many
>> Windows XP users are downloading the .exe installers these days?
>>
>> David C - what do you think about something like this?
>

> Dropping support for XP is fine by me as long as we are only talking about
> the official installers (e.g. building numpy with MSVC should stilll work on
> XP) . It is only a data point, but @ Enthought, we have quite a few
> customers on XP. I would not go as far as saying that's the most common
> version of windows, but that's not the least common either.

Steam users on 6% [1]
"Desktop OS market share" nearly 30% [2]
Other estimates somewhere between tending to low end [3]

> I would also reiterate my plea to avoid any PATH or pre-loading. Every
> library that does this has been a constant source of pain in my experience:
> embedding, integration with large 3rd party framework (especially the ones
> using multi-threading), etc...  We remove it in every library we support @
> Enthought (e.g. pytables 2.x)
>
> IMO, installing the mingw DLLs is the least bad option.

Sorry to be ignorant, but you mean copying these into the windows
system directories or somewhere else on the system path?

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=pc
[2] http://www.netmarketshare.com/