[SciPy-Dev] 1.0 roadmap: weave

Maxim Imakaev imakaev at mit.edu
Thu Nov 28 16:03:46 EST 2013

Hi,

Pauli Virtanen <pav <at> iki.fi> writes:

> Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker <at> web.de> writes:
> [clip]
> > Finally, to answer Roberts question whether I could volunteer
> > to maintain weave as a separate package:
> > not sure - maybe with some helping hands (currently I have no clue what
> > this would require) it might be possible.
> > The important aspect is the long term perspective:
> > How many people would be interested in this and maybe even in a python 3
> > port and actively use weave also for new code, or
> > is the general impression, that the more modern tools (cython, ...)
> > should be used?
>
> Also, let's say that if someone with personal interest in keeping
> it working addresses the issues within the next few years, then
> the pressure of splitting it out decreases quite a lot.
>
> In the big picture, weave is relatively "mature" code base, and
> keeping it working is probably not too big apart from the Py3 port.

I found this two-month-old thread while checking (again) for any solutions
regarding weave.inline and python 3.x compatibility.

Our lab is another example of what Arnd was talking about: I'm a graduate
student close to the end of my Ph.D, and I built many parts of our code
using weave.inline. Now I'm looking for ways to make my code compatible with
future generation. And weave.inline is the only package which holds us at
python 2.x.

Did someone start porting weave.inline since this thread ended on Sep 26?
What are the chances someone will do this in the nearest future?

Thanks,
Max