[SciPy-Dev] NumPy/SciPy participation in GSoC 2013

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 17:20:31 EDT 2013

Hi all,

It is the time of the year for Google Summer of Code applications. If we
want to participate with Numpy and/or Scipy, we need two things: enough
mentors and ideas for projects. If we get those, we'll apply under the PSF
umbrella. They've outlined the timeline they're working by and guidelines
at
http://pyfound.blogspot.nl/2013/03/get-ready-for-google-summer-of-code.html.

We should be able to come up with some interesting project ideas I'd think,
let's put those at http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/wiki/SummerofCodeIdeas.
Preferably with enough detail to be understandable for people new to the
projects and a proposed mentor.

We need at least 3 people willing to mentor a student. Ideally we'd have
enough mentors this week, so we can apply to the PSF on time. If you're
willing to be a mentor, please send me the following: name, email address,
phone nr, and what you're interested in mentoring. If you have time
constaints and have doubts about being able to be a primary mentor, being a
backup mentor would also be helpful.

Cheers,
Ralf

P.S. as you can probably tell from the above, I'm happy to coordinate the
GSoC applications for Numpy and Scipy