[SciPy-Dev] Lomb-Scargle Periodogram: Press & Rybicki Algorithm

Jacob Vanderplas jakevdp at cs.washington.edu
Fri Mar 8 20:18:56 EST 2013

Hi,
We have a cython version of this Lomb-Scargle algorithm in astroML [1], as
well as a generalized version that does not depend on the sample mean being
a good approximation of the true mean.  We've not yet implemented the FFT
trick shown in Press & Rybicki, but it's fairly fast as-is for problems of
reasonable size.

For some examples of it in use on astronomical data, see [2-3] below (the
examples are figures from our upcoming astro/statistics textbook). This
code is BSD-licensed, so if it seems generally useful enough to include in
scipy, it would be no problem to port it.

Also, if you have implemented an FFT-based version, it would get a fair bit
of use in the astronomy community if you were willing to contribute it to
astroML.

Thanks,
   Jake

[1]