[SciPy-Dev] new tests in sparse

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 02:20:40 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Blake Griffith
<blake.a.griffith at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Blake Griffith <
>> blake.a.griffith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello scipy,
>>> I'm in the process of adding new tests for sparse matrices with
>>> dtype=bool, while I'm at it, I thought it would be a good idea to add tests
>>> for other dtypes. Currently all the tests are for int64 and float64.
>>>
>>> There is some canonical data defined in test_base.py. I use this to make
>>> data with all the supported dtypes. Then I change the tests that use
>>> this canonical data to iterate over this data with different dtypes
>>> (including bool).
>>>
>>> Does this sound ok? It will make running test_base.py a bit slower. You
>>> can see my work here:
>>>

>> That makes sense to me. Depends on what you mean by "a bit" if it's a
>> problem that tests run slower. If the test adds more than a few hundred
>> milliseconds then you should think about what part of those tests have to
>> be labeled @slow.
>>
>> Ralf
>>

> I've been going through on a per test basis changing each test to test
> every dtype instead of just one, so each modified test takes ~14 times as
> long (14 for each supported dtype)... I think this will slow the test suite
> way too much.

Right now test_base.py already takes ~7% of the time of scipy.test(), so
14x increase of that file is too much. Maybe there's something that can be
done to make it run faster to start with. I'll try to have a look at what
you changed so far tonight.

Ralf