[SciPy-Dev] new tests in sparse

Blake Griffith blake.a.griffith at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 19:32:43 EDT 2013

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Blake Griffith <
> blake.a.griffith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello scipy,
>> I'm in the process of adding new tests for sparse matrices with
>> dtype=bool, while I'm at it, I thought it would be a good idea to add tests
>> for other dtypes. Currently all the tests are for int64 and float64.
>>
>> There is some canonical data defined in test_base.py. I use this to make
>> data with all the supported dtypes. Then I change the tests that use
>> this canonical data to iterate over this data with different dtypes
>> (including bool).
>>
>> Does this sound ok? It will make running test_base.py a bit slower. You
>> can see my work here:
>>

> That makes sense to me. Depends on what you mean by "a bit" if it's a
> problem that tests run slower. If the test adds more than a few hundred
> milliseconds then you should think about what part of those tests have to
> be labeled @slow.
>
> Ralf

I've been going through on a per test basis changing each test to test
every dtype instead of just one, so each modified test takes ~14 times as
long (14 for each supported dtype)... I think this will slow the test suite
way too much.

Unfortunately, the way I am adding theses tests using @slow would prevent
the whole test from being run. Ideally I would just decorate the new extra
dtype tests with @slow and the test would still run for the standard
int64/float64 dtypes. So I need to change the way I am doing this.