[SciPy-Dev] Like to participate in scipy.signals

Surya Kasturi suryak at ieee.org
Thu Jan 24 10:03:59 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 8:21 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

> Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers <at> gmail.com> writes:
> [clip]
> > Hi Surya, I had a look through the current scipy.signal
> > tickets for ones that would be not too complex to get
> > started with:
> [clip]
>
> BTW, the full ticket list is here:
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/query?
>
> status=apply&status=needs_decision&status=needs_info&status=needs_review&status=
>
> needs_work&status=new&status=reopened&component=scipy.signal&order=priority&col=
> id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component
>
> The typical work cycle that we use is,
>
> - start a new branch for Git for the feature / bug fix
> - work on it
> - submit a pull request for code review
>
> Useful links:
>
> [1] http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/gitwash/development_setup.html
>
> [2] https://github.com/scipy/scipy/blob/master/HACKING.rst.txt
>
> [3] https://help.github.com/
>
> To get your hands on the source code, the first step you probably want
> to do is to create an account on github.com, and press the "Fork" button
> on https://github.com/scipy/scipy After that, you can start working with
> the version controlled source code as explained in [1]
>
> If you run into trouble, feel free to ask here.
>
> I'm not very familiar with DSP, so I can't give specific hints on what
> would be nice projects in scipy.signal (but Ralf gave some pointers).

I am currently looking into  what Ralf has said! Now, I am going through
the documentation..
So, how far I should be reading the source-code of the project before
proceeding with the bugs? I seriously feel reading code is a very tough
task!

Actually, I am going ahead for Signals module is because I study
Electronics and DSP is the area where I like to specialize.. However, I am
very open to other projects too.. I just want to get involved in a
beautiful Scientific Project and improve coding skills

    ***

> There's one large longer-term project I know touching scipy.signal,
> though (but probably not good for a first project) --- scipy.signal
> has some functions dealing with B-splines on a uniform grid. Similar
> B-spline stuff appears in scipy.ndimage and scipy.interpolate
> (non-uniform grid splines). However, since these sub-packages have
> been written at different times by different people, the spline
> representations they use are not compatible or the inner workings
> are not exposed.
>
> Some house cleaning should be done --- we'd probably need
> a single way to represent and evaluate B-splines either on uniform
> or irregular grid, for 1-D and tensor product splines in N-dim (which
> is what scipy.ndimage AFAIK uses). Then the different packages in
> Scipy could work with these common spline objects --- the B-spline
> is a commonly appearing object deserving its own abstraction.
>
>     ***
>
> On the web development side one project would be improving
> the http://scipy-central.org code sharing site. You can find
> the source code for it here (uses Django):
> https://github.com/kgdunn/SciPyCentral/
>
> The main things to polish would probably be trying to make the
> interface more attractive and easier to use, i.e., some web design
> work, and some development.

Looking into it now! This website looks very simple. May be we can try to
use Twitter Bootstrap... Its UI is quite attractive and even simple to
implement.

What do you say?

Probably I might propose new ideas if I look into the Django Stuff (the
development part).