[SciPy-Dev] 2D histogram: request for plotting variable bin size

Frank Breitling fbreitling at aip.de
Sat Feb 2 14:59:03 EST 2013

Hi,

So I registered an account, but I have to request write permission by
email to scipy-dev at scipy.org first.
So could somebody give me write permission to the page
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.histogram2d.html
and maybe also to http://www.scipy.org/Cookbook/Matplotlib ?

Or otherwise could somebody add the example below for me?

Frank

---
import numpy as np, matplotlib.pyplot as plt

x = np.random.normal(3, 2, 1000)
y = np.random.normal(3, 1, 1000)

yedges=xedges=[0,2,3,4,6]

H, yedges, xedges = np.histogram2d(y,x, bins=(yedges,xedges))
extent = [xedges[0], xedges[-1], yedges[-1], yedges[0]]

#If bin size is equal imshow can be used. It is fast and provides
interpolation.
#plt.imshow(H, extent=extent, interpolation='None',
aspect='auto')

#To display variable bin size pcolar can be used
X,Y = np.meshgrid(xedges, yedges)
plt.pcolor(X, Y,
H)

#If interpolation is needed in addition matplotlib provides the
NonUniformImage:
#http://matplotlib.org/examples/pylab_examples/image_nonuniform.html

plt.colorbar()
plt.show()