[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Central in GSoC 2013

Andreas Hilboll lists at hilboll.de
Sat Apr 27 07:13:36 EDT 2013

>     >> 2. Integrating with Content Management System
>     >
>     > While this is nice, I think we should try to focus. What I would think
>     > is more important for SPC would be a IPython Notebook integration.
>     Like
>     > having a "download notebook" link for each item.
>
>     +1 for Ipython notebook integration. Also, submissions of Ipython
>     notebooks should be accepted (and not just as attachments, but
>     rendered).
>
> Actually I heard of IPython but never looked into it clearly.. Will go
> through it now. As far as I know its an web-based python console.. with
> lots of features. So, using it helps us run snippets directly on the
> site.. is that right?

Not necessarily. IPython is an interactive Python shell. The Notebook is
a web-based frontend for this, with the possibility to do inline
plotting etc.

What I meant in the scope of SPC is just providing support for the
Notebook fileformat. This means that

a) It should be possible to submit Notebook files as new entries (as
suggested by Pauli)

b) It could be possible to view items as rendered Notebook (as suggested
by Pauli). I personally don't think this is so important; it might be
enough to provide a link to the rendered Notebook on nbviewer.ipython.org.

c) It should be possible to download an item in Notebook format.

d) I'm strictly against actually running IPython Notebook on the SPC
server, so that means im in favor of no snippet-running on the server.

Cheers, Andreas.