[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Central in GSoC 2013

Surya Kasturi suryak at ieee.org
Sat Apr 27 06:41:07 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:

> 27.04.2013 11:11, Andreas Hilboll kirjoitti:
> [clip]
> >> 1. Migrating to Django 1.4.5
> >
> > Is there any specific reason not to go to 1.5.1? If I understand
> > correctly, some modules have not been upgraded for 1.5.x yet, but if we
> > don't need those, we should go with the latest, don't you think?
>
> I think the holdup is django-registration, which only recently got the
> support for Django 1.5 in its dev version:
> https://bitbucket.org/ubernostrum/django-registration/commits/all
>
> Development against the dev version seems possible, though.
>
> This is one thing. Actually, I am not sure whether (in general) people are
preferring 1.5 or 1.4.. The same reason why some choose py2.7 over 3.0! For
some reason if we want to integrate a 3rd party app and if they don't
support 1.5 yet.. its going to trouble us!

>> 2. Integrating with Content Management System
> >
> > While this is nice, I think we should try to focus. What I would think
> > is more important for SPC would be a IPython Notebook integration. Like
> > having a "download notebook" link for each item.
>
> +1 for Ipython notebook integration. Also, submissions of Ipython
> notebooks should be accepted (and not just as attachments, but rendered).

Actually I heard of IPython but never looked into it clearly.. Will go
through it now. As far as I know its an web-based python console.. with
lots of features. So, using it helps us run snippets directly on the site..
is that right?

> >> 4. Providing caching mechanism using Memcache
> >
> > Does it make sense to do this in a GSoC? If I understand correctly,
> > memcached is installed on the server, and just needs to be switched on
> > in Django config. I don't see much possibility to work on this in a
> > (code-)development environment, without the actual server daemons etc.
>
> There are no @cache statements in the code currently, except that the
> rendered code snippets are cached on disk (or in DB?), I think. This
> GSoC milestone could be changed to "implement caching (using Django's
> caching mechanism)".

Yeah, we will be using django caching framework for it! Since there seems
to be lot of other caching mechanisms, I thought to put memcache (most
efficient than others) specifically to avoid confusion. that's it.. May be
we can take sometime deciding which caching mechanism is good for us!!