[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Central in GSoC 2013

Sebastián Ventura lomegor at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:19:28 EDT 2013

Hi, Ralf, Surya and everyone else!

Sorry for not answering sooner, it seems that I missed this thread. I agree
with Ralf on the grouping of the ideas, it not only makes it more
organized, but it will help you when you are trying to creating a rough
schedule of how you are going to do it. Order them in term of priority so
you know which is more important to do. In my opinion, migrating to a CMS
is one of the first things you should do, as it will make it easier to
improve the design and probably avoid having to take time for that again
after migrating.

One thing I think is missing from this is investigating
different possibilities, both for the CMS and the design. This means
testing or investigating different CMS or templates or whatever to see
which one suits this project best. Although I particularly like Django (and
I think you do too), it doesn't mean it's the only solution or even the
best one. Therefore, I think that should be a point of its own. In that
point, you can also include time learning the technologies you are going to
use (if you are not already familiar with them), because that may take some
small time.

One more thing regarding submissions. Although I like your ideas of having
the code in gists and the submission available on PDF, it's important
before implementing things to think about who needs it and if it's really
going to be used. I'm not sure if there's anything to gain with hosting the
code on gists, except better reach, but if people are still going to use
the main page to look at code, it wouldn't be too important. That means
that more time could be spent in improving maintainability, performance and
things like that.

Great ideas, by the way, and great initiative on having the blog. It's
always good to have communication on those things. Keep it coming, and
remember to add a rough schedule and order things by priority.

Cheers,
Sebastian