[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Central in GSoC 2013

Surya Kasturi suryak at ieee.org
Tue Apr 9 06:13:17 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Surya Kasturi <suryak at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> How about SciPy Central on GSoC 2013?
>>
>> I was thinking to participate in GSoC this year and thought of
>> contributing to this project as GSoC student. Firstly, I was luck enough to
>> find SPC which closely matched my interests. Since, I am already slightly
>> familiar with the existing code, made some small contributions, I thought
>> it would be very nice to continue my work as GSoC student during summer.
>>
>> Is it possible?
>>

> Hi Surya, it's definitely possible I think. And a good idea. Improving
> SciPy Central meets the requirements for a project set by Google and you've
> already met the requirement of submitting at least one patch before
> applying.

Thanks

I would encourage you to start working on a proposal, and discuss it on
> this list. Maybe you've seen this already, but just in case:
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/Application
>
> I have some ideas in mind.

1. Making SPC more dynamic. Lets say, we put the current functionality over
a Content Management System (Django-CMS). We can create new pages, add new
content dynamically (on fly), change page layout dynamically etc... Simply
we can make the site like a extended version of blogger/ wordpress but not
really a blog!

This has been in my mind over long time -- just didn't find opportunity to
express as I was working on new design and  I was new to the code base and
couldn't dare to challenge such a big enhancement directly without even
knowing how existing code is!

2. Commenting system for submissions
3. Add points to submissions and reputation for users.
4. Improve search
5. API, Open Id (sign up), Feeds

6. Looking for other suggestions, ideas etc..even GSoC project proposal as
a whole.

Should I try to come up with a one big idea or some 4-5 small ideas (number
depends on time frame, complexity etc)? Some of the above ideas are simple
and don't really require total GSoC time (Open Id, Feeds)

> The other thing to do is find a mentor. We have several people that
> indicated that they'd like to be a mentor this year, maybe one of those
> people is interested in SPC? Or other people on the list?
>

>From the SPC repo, pv and andreas-h were having forked branches. They could
possibly mentor me if interested! or maybe other people too

Cheers,