[SciPy-Dev] SciPy Central in GSoC 2013

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 02:20:25 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Surya Kasturi <suryak at ieee.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> How about SciPy Central on GSoC 2013?
>
> I was thinking to participate in GSoC this year and thought of
> contributing to this project as GSoC student. Firstly, I was luck enough to
> find SPC which closely matched my interests. Since, I am already slightly
> familiar with the existing code, made some small contributions, I thought
> it would be very nice to continue my work as GSoC student during summer.
>
> Is it possible?

Hi Surya, it's definitely possible I think. And a good idea. Improving
SciPy Central meets the requirements for a project set by Google and you've
already met the requirement of submitting at least one patch before
applying.

I would encourage you to start working on a proposal, and discuss it on
this list. Maybe you've seen this already, but just in case:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/Application

The other thing to do is find a mentor. We have several people that
indicated that they'd like to be a mentor this year, maybe one of those
people is interested in SPC? Or other people on the list?

Cheers,
Ralf