[SciPy-Dev] new.scipy.org

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 24 15:32:01 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:13 AM, David Warde-Farley <
wardefar at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> On 2012-03-04, at 8:45 AM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
>
> > Excellent. Is the plan for that site to also replace www.scipy.org ?
> It's great to have the information up to date, but we still have two FAQ
> pages, two download pages, etc., so there's a risk that one of them won't
> be kept up to date.
>
> That was the plan in 2009, yes, but it got shelved due to lack of
> bandwidth and general lack of interest.
>
> I think that duplication is definitely a problem, and that it makes more
> sense for www.scipy.org to wiki.scipy.org or something like that, and
> have a *small, manageable* static site for important, "authoritative"
> information, downloads, etc. I was pretty proud of
> http://scipy.github.com/mailing-lists.html when I put it together, though
> it needs a s/SVN/Git/g now that I look at it.
>
> One thing I never got a straight answer about is where (detailed)
> installation instructions for NumPy and SciPy should be maintained. The
> static site seems a good place, but one thing is that it requires someone
> who knows the packages and the platform well to rewrite the documentation
> on major OS releases (this is particularly true of Mac OS X, as Apple has a
> tendency to break damned near everything, every release).

This is a difficult one. Currently the most up-to-date (or least
out-of-date) instructions are at http://scipy.org/Installing_SciPy, and the
wiki approach does have some value here. For example, the Intel MKL
instructions are now updated by an Intel engineer for new MKL releases.

> Perhaps "platform/installation gurus" should have a place on Ralf's list
> of maintainers, too.
>
> Makes sense. Perhaps the list should then also include people who maintain
servers, the static website, documentation infrastructure, etc.?

Ralf