[SciPy-Dev] new.scipy.org

David Warde-Farley wardefar at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Mar 21 23:13:04 EDT 2012

On 2012-03-04, at 8:45 AM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:

> Excellent. Is the plan for that site to also replace www.scipy.org ? It's great to have the information up to date, but we still have two FAQ pages, two download pages, etc., so there's a risk that one of them won't be kept up to date.

That was the plan in 2009, yes, but it got shelved due to lack of bandwidth and general lack of interest.

I think that duplication is definitely a problem, and that it makes more sense for www.scipy.org to wiki.scipy.org or something like that, and have a *small, manageable* static site for important, "authoritative" information, downloads, etc. I was pretty proud of http://scipy.github.com/mailing-lists.html when I put it together, though it needs a s/SVN/Git/g now that I look at it.

One thing I never got a straight answer about is where (detailed) installation instructions for NumPy and SciPy should be maintained. The static site seems a good place, but one thing is that it requires someone who knows the packages and the platform well to rewrite the documentation on major OS releases (this is particularly true of Mac OS X, as Apple has a tendency to break damned near everything, every release).

Perhaps "platform/installation gurus" should have a place on Ralf's list of maintainers, too.

David