[SciPy-Dev] SciPy bugtracker on GitHub (a la NumPy)?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 30 15:31:26 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:15 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:

> (This might have been discussed before, forgive me if I've missed it.)
>
> NumPy is using "Issues" on GitHub as bugtracker in addition to trac it
> seems. It has several advantages. Everything is kept in one place on
> GitHub. The interface is more tidy. And pull requests can be attached to
> "issues" (cf. tickets with attached .diff files on trac).
>
> In my experience the patches contributed on trac often get "forgotten".
> Someone has to take time to get them into git/svn. (Which quickly
> discouraged me from contributing anything.) I think this is the same
> reason Ralph Gommers complained when I mailed cKDTree code here instead
> of using git myself: "I know you may not have the time or interest to
> learn about git right now, but it may make both our lives easier if you
> try the below steps. It will allow you to put your commits on top of
> mine without any manual copying." I guess that applies to anything
> attached to a ticket on trac as well?
>
> Indeed. Patches as Trac attachments have some overhead for review and
getting it merged. That's why unfortunately some patches have languished
there for too long.

> When SciPy is on GitHub I think we should consider using GitHub's issue
> tracker. (And NumPy is already using it.)

The Trac --> Github conversion is still in progress for numpy. Once that's
completed and it all looks good, the plan is to do the same for scipy.

I'm glad you like git/Github. Looking forward to more patches:)

Ralf