[SciPy-Dev] SciPy bugtracker on GitHub (a la NumPy)?

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Mon Jul 30 15:15:14 EDT 2012

(This might have been discussed before, forgive me if I've missed it.)

NumPy is using "Issues" on GitHub as bugtracker in addition to trac it
seems. It has several advantages. Everything is kept in one place on
GitHub. The interface is more tidy. And pull requests can be attached to
"issues" (cf. tickets with attached .diff files on trac).

In my experience the patches contributed on trac often get "forgotten".
Someone has to take time to get them into git/svn. (Which quickly
discouraged me from contributing anything.) I think this is the same
reason Ralph Gommers complained when I mailed cKDTree code here instead
of using git myself: "I know you may not have the time or interest to
learn about git right now, but it may make both our lives easier if you
try the below steps. It will allow you to put your commits on top of
mine without any manual copying." I guess that applies to anything
attached to a ticket on trac as well?

When SciPy is on GitHub I think we should consider using GitHub's issue
tracker. (And NumPy is already using it.)

Sturla