[SciPy-Dev] Trac performance?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:09:01 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 05.02.2012 12:59, Ralf Gommers kirjoitti:
>> Is there an end in sight for the troubles with Trac? It's driving me
>> completely crazy. So if not, I'm willing to invest some time in moving
>> all the relevant content on the Trac wikis somewhere else (suggestions
>> welcome). I'm thinking about things like development plans, GSOC info,
>> list of maintainers per module, etc.
>
> Newer versions of Trac are supposed to alleviate the "database is
> locked" error, which is a PITA. So upgrading the software could help.
>
> I think moving stuff out from the Trac could be useful in any case, as
> its account management is not so transparent. As for the developer wiki
> info --- how about turning on wikis on Github and using them? Does
> someone have experience on how usable they actually are?
>
> As for dropping Trac completely -- last time around, I think the Github
> issues system lacked features. I think they've added some stuff since
> then, though.

They have added milestone, which is something that is a must for
release management IMO. Otherwise, it is quite limited, but OTOH,
that's one less thing to worry about, and it is not like trac is a
great issue tracker either. github actually has a few features that
are sorely lacking in our current trac, like a decent REST API and
mass-editing of existing issues.

cheers,

David