[SciPy-Dev] updating optimize tutorial & doc questions

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 11:46:50 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Denis Laxalde <denis.laxalde at mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've completed the minimize function which provides a common interface
> to both unconstrained an constrained minimizers of multivariate
> functions. Now I wonder if the optimize tutorial should be updated
> in order to put this forward. I think new users should be pointed to
> this interface instead of individual functions and that it should be
> clearer in the tutorial. What do others think?
>
> Besides, a couple of questions about the documentation on
> <http://docs.scipy.org/>:
>
>  - How is it actually updated?

either edit the source in git or use the online editor, e.g.
http://docs.scipy.org/scipy/docs/scipy-docs/tutorial/optimize.rst/
I like the editor because it provides an immediate check on the
correctness of the rst.

The pages edited on the online documentation editor get merged into
the source (ir)regularly

>  - The content of reference pages (e.g.
>   <http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/sparse.html>) appears to
>   be generated using automodule. There is also some bits in packages'
>   __init__.py file but this is not consistent with the latter. So
>   what's the documentation in __init__.py?

It looks to me that it is now all in the module docstring, so the
content of the main subpackage page should be directly the information
in the __init__.py.
What's the inconsistency?

I think updating the tutorial will be very useful in this case.

Josef