[SciPy-Dev] Fwd: For certain arrays scipy.interpolate.fitpack.bisplrep fails,

Paul Kuin npkuin at gmail.com
Sat May 14 09:54:39 EDT 2011

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2011 00:08:24 +0100, Paul Kuin wrote:
>> scipy.interpolate.fitpack.bisplrep fails, For certain arrays
>> scipy.interpolate.fitpack.bisplrep fails, since the fortran code called
>> expects
>> an integer for the dimension size of certain arrays:
>
> Floats will be automatically cast to integers, so this by itself
> cannot cause any errors.

It does when the parameter is not cast to an integer and passed
to the fortran library.

> Please give example code that fails (how does it fail?) -- otherwise
> it will be difficult to determine the actual cause.

The failure was an error message from the fortran code. I recognized it
since I have been working with it outside python.
Unfortunately I cannot give an easy snippet of code and I have
time limitations now. My old Macbook crashed and when migrating,
I decided to go with the STScI python package.  When I ran tests
this was the only bug my code stumbled upon, which I fixed.

So I wanted to share the fix. You say it was already patched. So
I don't think more is needed. Thanks for checking this out though.
All your efforts help more than you think!