[SciPy-Dev] Release blocker?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 19:39:25 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 18:25, Pauli Virtanen <pav at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:53:45 -0600, Robert Kern wrote:

>> That said, distutils should already be passing the right flags to mingw
>> to link against msvcr90.dll unless if we are interfering. Can you show
>> us the command lines that are being executed on your machine? I believe
>> that using the environment variable DISTUTILS_DEBUG=1 will cause
>> setup.py to print them out as it goes along.
>
> Build log is here: http://pav.iki.fi/tmp/build.log
> It's a simple Numpy 1.5.1 + current mingw32 + python.org 3.1 setup.
>
> Apparently, what happens is that modules linked with g++ get -lmsvcr90,
> whereas modules linked with gfortran (due to BLAS, apparently) don't get
> it.

Ah, that makes sense. numpy.distutils owns the link flags for Fortran
modules. I think the problem is in fcompiler/gnu.py:get_libraries()
(both of them). We don't add the right runtime library unless if the
configured C compiler is 'msvc'. I think we need to add it
unconditionally.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."