[SciPy-Dev] Release blocker?

Christoph Gohlke cgohlke at uci.edu
Wed Feb 16 17:49:51 EST 2011

On 2/16/2011 2:26 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:39:57 -0600, Bruce Southey wrote:
> [clip]
>> On 64-bit Win7 with 32-bit Python 2.6.3 and 3.1 , I get a crashes with
>> both binary installers at
>> 'test_interpnd.TestCloughTocher2DInterpolator.test_dense '. A window
>> pops up asking to close the application.
>
> The problem appears to be free()-ing memory allocated in a different DLL,
> which apparently isn't allowed on this platform (didn't anyone test the
> previous release candidates on Win7? :)
>
> That is, the Cython module scipy.spatial.qhull allocated memory, passed
> it on to the Cython module scipy.interpolate.interpnd, which tried to
> free it ->  boom.
>
> This should fix it:
>
>      http://github.com/pv/scipy-work/tree/bug/interpnd-windows
>
> I'll see if I also manage to build Windows binaries...

I tested msvc9/MKL builds of rc3 with 8 different Python versions and
did not notice this issue. I think the problem is not Win7 but that the
official scipy binaries link against two different C runtime libraries,
which is a bad idea on any platform. For example, interpnd.pyd correctly
uses msvcr90.dll, while qhull.pyd uses msvcrt.dll.

Christoph