[SciPy-Dev] Target date for 0.10 release

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 29 13:56:44 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
> > wrote:

>>> Possibly -- there are already some new features and bugfixes.
>>

>> The 0.10 release notes are still a bit sparse. A few things that should be
>> in there but aren't yet:
>> - Lomb-Scargle periodogram
>> - firwin types III/IV
>> - update to CODATA 2010
>> - deprecated lib.blas & some cleanup in linalg.blas
>>
>> I also checked the pending deprecations/removals. The only deprecated
> items in 0.9 were the following nonlinear solvers:
> - ``broyden_modified`` (bad performance)
> - ``broyden1_modified`` (bad performance)
> - ``broyden_generalized`` (equivalent to ``anderson``)
> - ``anderson2`` (equivalent to ``anderson``)
> - ``broyden3`` (obsoleted by new limited-memory broyden methods)
> - ``vackar`` (renamed to ``diagbroyden``)
>
> Can these be removed?
>
> Any opinions on this? If no one has a good reason for keeping them around a
little longer I'll remove them.

> There are also quite a few open pull requests. Here are some that I think
>> are in good shape and would be good to merge before a first beta:
>>
>> 4: more stable BLAS routines for euclidean norm
>> 11: support for Harwell-Boeing format
>> 21: discrete state-space, transfer function and LTI systems
>> 35: add description of public API and import guidelines
>> 48: chkfinite flags for linalg functions
>> 52: logit/expit functions
>>

>>> However,
>>> the crash-bugs that occur in the iterative solvers on OSX (but not on
>>> other platforms) in my opinion are a blocker that should be solved
>>> before release.
>>>

>> This is fixed now, so there are no show stoppers anymore. Just a number of
pull request and tickets to close.

Most of the tickets marked for 0.9.1 or 0.10.0 in Trac are about the signal
and stats modules. Warren and Josef, could you please have a look at those?
If they're not straightforward and important to fix they can be set to
Unscheduled.

There are several pull requests that are (almost) ready to go in; of the
ones that still require some work or review I think especially #21 (discrete
state-space, transfer function and LTI systems) and #55 (QR decomposition
with Q multiplication) would be nice to have merged.

Here is a proposed schedule:
Sun 11 Sep: beta 1
Sun 25 Sep: rc 1
Sun 02 Oct: rc 2 (if needed)